Thursday, February 14, 2013

Edgar


Hello, 
I adopted Edgar on 10/1/2003 from Homeward Pet.  I had just recently moved into my first place and my parent's decided to keep my cats.  So I knew I needed to give another cat a home.  I went to Homeward the afternoon of the 1st, not sure if I was just looking or would take a cat home.  The staff member was telling me about the different cats and stopped at Edgar's cage.  He was her favorite cat, a big orange tabby.  She explained that Edgar was FIV positive and that some people didn't want to adopt cats with that condition.  She let me hold Edgar as we walked around to the different cages.  I immediately knew that Edgar was the cat for me.  He never growled or hissed at the other cats and just sat contently in my arms.
 
I took Edgar home and we became buddies immediately.  Unfortunately for Edgar, there was a respiratory virus just starting to go through the shelter at that time and Edgar became very illness within about 4 days.  I checked him into the emergency vet and then finely had him transferred to Inglemoor Animal Hospital.  It was touch and go and we had to try various medicine.  I actually considered putting him down, but by a miracle, he pulled through.
 
Edgar was diagnosed with Lymphoma January 3rd of this year.  He had been slowing down, so I suspect he had it for several months prior.  He had surgery to remove a mass in his intestine and then came home until he became too weak to carry on.  He went to sleep for the last time yesterday surrounded by his family.
 
I loved Edgar and he was the best cat I have ever known.  He followed me where ever I went in the house and he loved to sit on the patio and just watch.  He enjoyed all his cat nip toys and his favorite activity was sitting with me and getting belly rubs.  He had the loudest purr of any cat I have ever heard.  He was a favorite with everyone that knew him and he loved everyone he met.
 
Two years ago, Edgar and I were joined by two kittens. Edgar welcomed them into the household and spent hours watching them run around, occasionally swatting one as they ran by. I know in his last days, he still enjoyed watching the little ones.
 
Edgar will be missed greatly and I am so grateful to have had him with me these 9+ years.  In his memory, I wanted to donate money to help other cats find homes and be loved as much as I loved Edgar.  While some might have thought of Edgar as a special needs cat due to his FIV status, he lived his life like there was no problem with him.
 
Thank you,
Leanne

No comments: