Friday, May 25, 2012

Greta Garbo: A failed foster but successful adoption

I knew when I started volunteering at Homeward Pet, I would eventually end up bringing "something" home with me.  After losing my own cat Hampton to a long battle with Kidney disease, I wasn't in a big hurry.  The truth is, I had my heart set on a dog. 
When I first met Garbo, she wasn't too thrilled about shelter life (but who is?)  I found her to be grumpy on most Saturday's.  She started to warm up to me – but only after about 5 months. The day I actually heard her purr, was the day I decided to do something more.   She became my foster kitty. 
I thought she might need some time to feel comfortable after bringing her home. Maybe a few days, weeks, if not months. It only took about 30 seconds. She became a different cat right out of the crate.   She explored her new surroundings for two hours before falling asleep in the bed and claiming it as her own. 
Since then, she wakes up with me each morning, and goes to sleep with me each night, and follows me around in between.  She loves attention and to snuggle close. She enjoys lying in the sun and feeling the outdoor breeze from her window perch.  The spiders she catches are yummy but not as yummy as Tuna Fish flavored wet food. She loves drinking water out of the bathroom sink.  This is where we keep her water dish now. Her only complaint might be the very scary vacuum cleaner. 
Sometimes we don't choose the animals to share our lives with, they choose us.  Garbo chose me and has requested I change her name to Greta.  Greta has found her forever home. Thank you Homeward Pet for giving her the second chance she deserves so we could find each other.  We couldn't be happier.
Love Anne and Greta.



No comments: