Friday, February 17, 2012

Scooter - Always in Our Hearts

Dear Homeward Pet,

It is with heavy heart that I write to let you know that the wonderful little dog I adopted from Homeward Pet, Scooter, has passed away. I adopted Scooter from your awesome organization in 2008 - he was a Lhasa Apso mix name Boomer at the time. Since then, we moved across to country together, relocating from Seattle to New York City. Scooter enjoyed his time in the Big Apple and we discovered his love of romping in the snow in the winter and swimming at the beach in the summer.
While I am devastated by the lose of Scooter, I do want you fine folks to know that I appreciate everything you did to bring us together, for giving Scooter the time, space and care he needed to recover and become my best friend. Not every animal care organization would have had the time or the resources to give him the best chance to get adopted, but you knew that he had a happy home and a loving family in his future and did everything you could to get him there.

We may not have had that many years together, but the time we had was fantastic. Scooter was spoiled and doted on by a wide circle of friends and family, and universally adored by everyone he knew. He really packed a lot of living, frolicking, playing and loving in to those years.
Thank you sincerely for patching up my best friend - and for giving me some of the happiest times I've ever known. I recently read the book "Humphrey was Here" by Mark Asher - his account of the sudden death of his beloved dog. The way he describes his dog is so perfect that I used the phrase as Scooter's epitaph for the urn holding his remains."My constant shadow and everlasting sun."

Thank you for your amazing work, for the animals you rescue, the families you build and the light you bring in to so many lives. I am a better person because of Scooter.
Sincerely,
Colin

No comments: