Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thomas Starr

A few years ago my dad and I were looking to bring another cat into our lives. We already had a female adult cat, but thought that she could use a companion and since our other male cat passed away a couple years beforehand we figured it was time to adopt another cat.

At the time, I was volunteering at Homeward so I became very familiar with all the cats at the shelter. After about a month of looking for the right cat for us, Thomas Starr came into the shelter. He was probably the most unique and cutest cat in the shelter. This orange tabby has a huge face with a scar on the bridge of his nose and a bent over ear. I was shocked to still see him there when I came back a week later to volunteer again. With a face like his I thought he'd be picked up on the very first day. I then realized why he wasn't already adopted: he was FIV positive. When my dad came in to see him we both knew that he was the cat that we had been searching for, but had no idea what FIV was and didn't want to adopt a cat that would wasn't going to have a very long or happy life and we definitely didn't want to put our other cat endanger either. But after learning about the disease from the wonderful staff at Homeward we decided to take the chance and bring him home.

Since he's been with us he has been nothing but a happy, loving, and active cat. Thomas hasn't had any health issues whatsoever since he became part of the family four years ago. He's just like any other healthy cat and we often forget that he even has a disease. Our female cat has also been perfectly healthy and they have gotten along just fine together. Thomas Starr is a great cat that loves to snuggle and bury his head into your neck and just be loved and at the center of attention at all times. I am so glad and grateful that we took the chance on him, even though he's FIV positive.

Thank you Homeward for this beautiful and loving cat!

Lauren

No comments: