Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The story of Merlin

We recently adopted Merlin after giving him a Kennel Break and becoming a Foster Failure. After helping foster two dogs during their kennel breaks, I had gotten used to having the dogs around for a few days, but knew come Wednesday they have to go back. It was tough to bring them back, but I knew they enjoyed their time away and would be adopted soon. After watching the website everyday and seeing Merlin come available on Wednesday, I decided I was going to keep my eye on him in hopes he would be available on Sunday. Somehow he was still available on Sunday so I rushed to Homeward Pet to pick him up for his break. He was so great having around and we got in a good routine. He loves to play with his toys and especially loves his Frisbee. During his break we went to Magnuson Park every morning and every evening to play fetch and go for a walk. He met some new friends, but was more interested in his toys then playing with others. On Tuesday and Wednesday he got to come into work
with me and loved all the attention everyone provided him. With him being my third foster dog I was planning on bringing him back on Wednesday before the shelter opened, but that's not how things turned out. Waking up Wednesday and going through our routine I realized Merlin may be 11 but is still a puppy at heart and I could not take him back to shelter except to adopt him. Wednesday around noon I left for Woodinville with Merlin as my Co-Pilot from the back seat. It seemed like he knew exactly where he was when we arrived and turned his head to me and gave me the eyes saying, "Can I stay with you please?" I responded right back "Of Course!" When going through the paperwork the vet looked Merlin over and found a lump that needed to be removed and he was going to need surgery. Homeward Pet kept Merlin in their care and covered the surgery which I could not be more thankful for. Surgery went well and looks like everything is going to fine because he has no interest in slowly
down. On Monday I was able to come pick him up from Homewa!
rd and h
e was so happy to be leaving again and this time for good. I want to say Thank You to everyone at Homeward Pet for taking care of Merlin and providing the best adoption process in the area.

-Dustin

Now to hear Merlin's side of the story

I came to Homeward Pet with hopes of making some new friends, having new toys, and finding a new forever home. I was there with my sister Dottie, so I enjoyed a familiar face and everyone that works their loved to play with me because I will play all day long. They quickly learned I know lots of tricks and have great manners (I do consider myself to be a gentleman). Many people came to visit me while I was there but I think they thought I may be slow since some papers say I am 11. I have found age is merely a number because I can play and jump just like the younger dogs. After being at Homeward for a few days, I met a new friend who came up to my kennel and I showed him all my toys. He told me that I get to go home with him for a few days and get a break and this perked my interest. I was so excited to go for a car ride. On the way home we stopped at the park to play and I showed my ability to catch anything thrown my way. After our play time we went to his house and he show
ed me around where I had more toys and my very own bed. The next day he took me to the park again and I got to go running and play fetch, some of my favorite activities. Then on Tuesday and Wednesday I got to come in the office with my new friend where I found more toys again. This really was turning out to be a great break, because I got toys wherever I went. On my last day of my break I went back to Homeward, but I knew my new best friend and I would be friends forever. Sure enough he was going to give me my forever home, but I had a little bump that had to get removed. I recovered great from surgery and was ready to play the next day. After hanging out with my new friends at Homeward for a few days, my new best friend came back and I went crazy when I saw him because I knew he is now my Dad. He told me to pack up my bags and get ready to go to my new forever home. I have already settled into my new home and love all the new places I have been and new faces I have met. I
have always been referred to as Merlin but I sometimes get c!
alled Ve
lcro by my new Dad because I love to follow him around.

Thank you for all your great care!
– Merlin

No comments: