Saturday, February 5, 2011

Gertie the Red Heeler

I adopted Gertie 4 years ago. She is the funniest, happiest, wiggliest, bundle of canine joy I have ever met. Heelers are a bit of a challenge but only because they are so incredibly smart and focused. Once I figured out her need for a schedule and a job she has been a perfect companion. Her jobs consist of "finding the cat" (who allows herself to be found but has drawn the line at being herded), fetching a toy, cleaning pans, keeping the kitchen floor spotless, and giving one, or at the most 2 barks, when a deer, squirrel, or dog enters the yard. Frisbee catching, car rides, and walks are her passion. She is not a lap dog and if there isn't a job for her to do in the house she insists on returning to her "post" in her garage/dog yard. I love my ACD.

No comments: