Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tommy

Hello, Homeward! It's been a few months since we adopted Tommy, and we couldn't have made a more perfect choice. He is a loving, affectionate cat when he feels safe. His favorite part of the evening is when I go to bed, and he perches himself on my shoulder while I read. He just loves to feel close to someone, getting belly rubs, and is a constant cuddler.

I was looking for the perfect therapeutic companion, as school life has been incredibly stressful for us. Tommy's sweet and patient nature has been just what we needed, and I believe the therapy's mutual. For all of his sweetness, he came to us a bit neurotic and incredibly skittish. For weeks after we had gotten him, he would run away at the slightest sound or movement. In the first days, he would hide in the bathtub and hiss when we came in, but he would never attack. I was always able to pick him up and comfort him, and he soon stopped hiding in the bathroom.

Taking one day at a time, he's finally felt safe enough to roam the apartment like it's his home. We've been gently encouraging him with lots of love and comfort, and he's finally starting to let go of his skittishness. He always stays by my side at the computer, and loves getting brushed. He even lets me trim his claws with complete trust. He's no longer the frightened cat we had adopted, and has become more and more the perfect match for us. We're very thankful to have found him at Homeward!

No comments: