Monday, April 19, 2010

Mac and Jack!

 

OK, so now it's been almost two months since I brought Mac and Jack home and renamed them Shade and Shadow, respectively.  They're doing GREAT!!  Neither one is real fond of my 3 year old though, and understandably.  I wouldn't like someone that's constantly sticking their hand in my face to sniff, or grabbing me awkwardly when I'm trying to sleep, or chasing me through the house to pet me when I want to be left alone.  They're incredibly tolerant though and have never "grabbed" at my kids to be left alone.

They have a new area to explore now too.  For the winter we had plastic up on the outside of the windows that we recently took off, so now the boys can look out the windows and see what's going on in the Wide World.  Which reminds me to get a latching screen door so that Shade's chances of escape are lessened.  He's tried a couple times to take off out our front door.

Shade is the more friendly of the two, still.  He'll lounge on his back in the middle of the floor while we have company.  He'll accept at least an ear scratch from anyone that comes in.  He's not much for laps, but will spend the day curled up against my leg.  He loves the mouse shape our laser pointer can create and we can get him to spin like a top chasing it.  He's not much for the catnip I've sprinkled on the floor, but he's still super sweet and loving; even at 2 am.  I don't know how many nights I've felt his wet nose crashed against my face because he wants to be pet and loved on.  He's still the bigger and silkier of the two and will sometimes enforce his dominance on Shadow, who then whines and cries until Shade gets off. 

Shadow is still pretty stand-offish with everyone but me.  He's one of these cats that chooses one human to like and bond with and everyone else doesn't exist.  He LOVES the catnip I'll sprinkle on the floor.  He'll roll in it until he's covered, then jump in my lap and stare at me.
He's the one who usually starts the games of Kitty Tag and Kitty Racing (think NASCAR) through the house.  Every morning, when the kids aren't in my bed, he and I will have some bonding/petting time where I just pet him from ear to tail and he turns into a purr machine. He's MY kitty after all :)  He also doesn't mind being picked up and carried, for short amounts of time. 

The longer I have these guys the happier we all are.  They're so FUN to have around, especially when they start tearing around the house and being goofy

No comments: