Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Seymour

 

I adopted Seymour, a lab mix just this past Sunday, and wanted to give you a 36hr update....

 

First and foremost, he is just a great dog, and is doing fantastic!! 

 

He didn't want to get into my truck at the shelter, and had to pick him up:)  He's not use to that, and 3/3 times he's ridden in the truck, I've had to pick him up.  No small task, but he seems to be getting better!  He behaves well in the truck, it's just not his favorite thing. 

 

We came home, and played in the back yard with one of his favorite toys, then went on a mile long walk.  His leash behavior was PERFECT!  Far better than at the shelter!  In fact, of the 2-3 walks he gets every day, he's only tried to bite the leash a couple of times! 

 

He met the cats, which he didn't really even care that much about (they did, and are still freaked) and has shown a lot of patience with them, respecting their space.  He slept on an old flannel sleeping bag at the end of my bed the first night, and didn't do a thing, but sleep like a baby all night (I exercised the hell out of him!).

He's smart and affectionate!  He knows sit, stay, and shake, and we're almost done with "down".  He follows me around the house all the time, and if he isn't doing that, he's on his bed, sleeping or chewing on something

I have a whole room that is completely empty, so when I'm at work, that's where he stays with food, water, and all his toys.  He doesn't like being left, but he seems to behave well while I'm gone.  I'm hoping this phase just lasts a few more days until he and the cats aclimate to one another. 

When I came home from work both mid-day today (to check on him) and at the end of the day, he was super happy to see me, and nearly knocked me over!  If I sit on the floor with him he actually climbs into my lap for affection, and loves having his stomach, butt, and cheeks rubbed!  

 I took him to the beach today to get in some socialization.  He needs that, and isn't too great around other dogs up close, but that (and getting into the truck) seem to be his only areas of needed work.  We'll get there!  

 

Bottom line - GREAT dog, and we are doing fine.  Have our vet appointment this Friday to get checked out.

 

Thanks for the important work you do!!  May volunteer at a shelter myself once I get Seymour better use to his home (ok, he's fine with that, it's the cats that need adjustment!!).

 

Please share with anyone who knew and worked with Seymour - Mark 

 

 

 

No comments: