Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ranger (Chopper)!

Dear Friends at Homeward Pet Adoption Center,

 

My people, Lori and Rob, told me that you wrote asking how I was doing in my new home, so I thought I'd let you know that I love it here!  They feed me great food from Mud Bay, bought me a cool kennel that sits right in the middle of the kitchen where I can be a part of what's going on, even when I need to be contained, set up a great container right by their bed for me to sleep in at night (I already outgrew the one they bought from you guys) and are constantly petting and scratching me in all the right places.  I have a big back yard where I can chase the squirrels and bark at the crows.  And there are dogs living all around me that I am very slowly, but surely, getting to know.  I had the best play session with the young spaniel next door this afternoon!

 

I passed my first vet appointment with flying colors.  My vet comes to our house, so it's pretty laid back.  (And she brings treats too!)  Her name is Dr. Stacy Clardy, and her practice name is Pawsitively Pets in Maple Valley.  I get to see her again next week, 'cuz I have to get my second leptovax shot.  She said I should have that one, along with all the others, since my people want to take me hiking and camping with them when I get a little older.  They say I have to learn good trail manners first, though, since I'm going to be a big dog when I grow up.  (I have already gained 4.5 lb. since I came home from Homeward Pet!)  So, I get to go to these great puppy kindergarten classes at Argus Ranch, every Thursday.  My friend, Terri Kaluza, is teaching my people how to teach me.  My favorite part, besides the treats and puppy recess, of course, was when Terri told my people that if I screwed up and went potty in the house, they were supposed to take a newspaper, roll it up and hit themselves on the head with it, for not keeping a close enough eye on me.  Tee hee!  I'm doing pretty good, though - no accidents for a couple of weeks now.  I think I've got them pretty well trained.

 

All in all, life is pretty darn good.  I'm definitely an outdoor dog, so I see lots of trips to the woods and beaches in my future.  And I love to be stimulated - training, playing, walking - I love it all.  And they say I'm a gentle guy - not much of an aggressive or predatory streak that anyone can see.  I'm not sure all my new squeaky toys would agree with that, but they don't count!  Oh yeah, my people wanted me to be sure to tell you that they really appreciated all the help you gave them when they adopted me - telling them about potty training, cradling, crating, feeding, puppy classes, etc.  Brie's guidance and the written materials you sent home with them were invaluable - big word for a small pup like me.  Things have changed a lot since they had their last puppy fifteen years ago - thank heavens!  But they were able to hit the ground running with me, doing things the right way (for the most part), and giving me a great start to life, thanks to you guys.  We all really appreciate you!

 

You are a long ways from my home in Kent, but one of these sunny days we're going to come up and see you guys again.  We need to bring that little crate back so you can pass it on to another family and my people want to show you how big and lovable I am!  Till then, thanks for caring and for making it possible for me to get a fresh start in life.  I'm loving it!!

 

Ranger (aka Chopper from Yakima)

No comments: