Thursday, July 9, 2009

An update on Turk (formerly called Yogi)

 

 

We've had Turk (formerly called Yogi) for almost 3 months now and I have to say that adopting him was one of the best decisions we ever made!  He has fit into our family beautifully.  Initially my husband and sons were not enthusiastic about getting a small dog, but they all adore Turk now.  It’s hard not to when he adores them and is always happy to see them.

 

Turk won my husband over by doing many of the things Picard, our previous dog who passed away last year, used to do. When Turk leaves the crate each morning, he runs to Dennis' side of the bed to say good morning and get petted before he goes outside to "get er done".  He loves to “get the paper” in the morning and “get the mail” in the afternoon literally leaping off my lap when Dennis says either of these phrases.  Although he can’t play as rough with Turk as he did with Picard, he still has lots of fun throwing the ball for him to chase and playing a gentler version of tug-o-war. 

 

Our son, Greg,  likes to take him on car rides and walks.  He has also taken him to drama rehearsal at school where everyone loved him.  The first week we had him Greg picked him up constantly and said over and over “he’s just so cute!”   Our other son, Steven, calls Turk “the pest”, yet he is always picking him up and petting him.  He likes to play with him too and is very good about teaching him that biting hands is never allowed even when playing.

 

Turk is definitely a mama’s boy.  He loves to be with me and to do what I’m doing whether it’s sitting on the couch, going for a walk or working in the yard.  He doesn't mind me going to work each day, but he didn't like it when I took an overnight trip.  When I got home he was ecstatic with joy and couldn't stop giving me "kisses." 

 

I’ve included some pictures of Turk, but they don't capture just what a great dog he is.  I’ve also included a picture of one of our cats, Lexus, because we got her from Homeward Pets (then called Hooterville Pets) too, almost 14 years ago!  She doesn’t like Turk much (he wants to play, she wants to be left alone) but she is learning to tolerate him and he is learning to back off when she tells him to, because her claws are sharp! 

 

Thank you again for the wonderful new addition to our family!

 

Kathleen, Dennis, Steven and Greg

 

 

No comments: