Thursday, February 5, 2009

Axel (formerly Cloudy) was one of the pit bull puppies abandoned on Thanksgiving.  Here he tells about his first week in his new home:

The Axel Diaries

Sunday January 25th

I’ve arrived at my new forever home after our car ride, and a stop at PetSmart for something called “supplies”.    I like the car; I get to sit on a lap and look out the window.

I didn’t know I was getting a playmate in the deal.  Ursa the 60lb. American Staffordshire is huge, and I’m not sure if she’s going to eat me or what.  She doesn’t seem to know what to do with me, either.

I haven’t figured out where the bathroom is yet.  I’m guessing the living room floor may not be the best choice.  My dog parents didn’t praise me, and immediately tossed me outside.  They seem surprised that I go outside most of the time, though.  I don’t think it’s a big deal, my foster parents did a good job of showing me.  I just forget sometimes.

My dog parents also think it’s a big deal that I always sit for a treat.  Again, my foster parents worked with me lots, and it’s pretty much second nature now.  But if my new parents want to think I’m smart, I’m not going to tell them otherwise.

Strange people came into the house.  I like visitors. One was called “Lora”, and a man called “Brian”.  They were nice, I hope they come back.

Monday January 26th

My new dog mommy just left us in the morning.  I don’t know if she’s coming back.  Dog daddy hung out with us today, though.

Ursa and I finally figured each other out this morning.  We played all day, in between naps.  Ursa plays very gently with me.  When I try to prove I’m boss, she isn’t very nice to me.  Sometimes she takes my toys, but my dog parents always get them back for me.  It’s okay, though, I steal hers.  Her toys are BIG, though, and I don’t always get very far with them.

By the way, dog mommy eventually came back home. She seemed happy to see me, so I guess she wasn’t mad at me.  I also discovered today that going to the bathroom by the front door isn’t where I need to go, either.  The backyard must be the spot.  Dog daddy seems happy when I go out there, and acts like an idiot.  It’s kind of embarrassing, I hope the neighbors aren’t watching.  There’s a “dog door” that Ursa uses to go in and out.  Darned if I can figure it out, though.

Tuesday January 27th

Oh, no!  Both the dog parents left me this morning!  I’m by myself in my crate.  I don’t know where Ursa went.

*whew* Dog mommy came back later.  She fed me and played with me, and I got to chase Ursa around.  It didn’t last long, though, before I was back in my crate.  I could use a nap anyway.

Dog daddy came home and let me out.  Later in the evening we played with a game where we had to stand on a square metal thing.  First dog daddy stepped on it, then he picked me up and we both stepped on it. It made beeping noises, then we got off.  I don’t know what “19 pounds” means, but he seemed kind of surprised about it.  He said I’m going to be “huge”.

I guess there are cats in the house.  Not that I care much.

Wednesday January 30th

We took another car ride tonight.  When we got there, there was another puppy to play with.  We also played a game with a thing that makes a clicking noise.  It’s fun, when it clicks I get a treat.  I have to do stuff first, though.  It’s easy: I just sit on the ground, or follow dog daddy around, and they click it and give me food.  I hope we play that game some more.

Thursday January 29th

We got to go for a car ride today.  We went to a place where there were other dogs and some cats.  I met a nice lady who poked on me, and looked at my teeth and eyes. I didn’t like the part where she stuck something up my butt, and the sharp thing kinds of hurt, but it wasn’t too bad.  “20.5 pounds” must mean something good, because everyone seemed excited about it.

I still don’t get this dog door thing.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.  My dog parents help me when it doesn’t work, so I can always get out to go to the bathroom.  Dog daddy still acts like an idiot when I go.  I don’t know what the big deal is anymore.

Friday January 30th

Dog mommy stayed home all day today!  We didn’t play much, though; she spent most of the day poking her paws at this thing with lots of buttons.  That’s okay, Ursa and I kept each other occupied.  When we get tired, we go take naps together on her bed.

New people came over.  I like meeting new people, everyone I meet seems glad to see me.  Two of these people said they’re going to come visit me during the day to feed me and let me play with Ursa when my dog parents are at work.  That will be fun.

Saturday January 31st

Ursa and dog daddy left me!  Ursa put her coat and collar on, and out they went, and didn’t take me.  They came back after a bit.  I guess we take turns at this or something, because then it was time for my first walk outside.  It was fun, but kind of scary, too.  There are a lot of scary noises.  It’s more tiring than it looks.  We weren’t gone very long. Dog daddy wanted to go further, but I’d had enough and wanted to go home.

I’ve got this dog door thing nailed.  The secret is to not give up.  If it doesn’t work the first time, try it again.  I just go to the bathroom outside now, there isn’t much reason to do it in the house since I can go outside whenever I like.  I don’t know why dog daddy stills watches me, I’m a big dog now and don’t need his supervision.  He still acts like pooping is a major production, I wish he’d cut it out.

Ursa and I got another car ride, to someplace called “Mud Bay”.  That place is awesome!  All kinds of things to sniff, and everyone there was excited to see me.  I got lots of treats.

Lora and Brian came back.  Lora let me sit on the people bed and snuggled with me.  I never got to do that before, dog mommy and daddy won’t let me on the people bed.  I like Lora, I hope she comes back lots.

I guess they’re calling me “Axel”.  Took them longer enough to figure out a name.

Sunday February 1st

When my siblings and I were in that box by the side of the road, we were so young I can barely remember it.  I do remember all the good things my foster parents did for me, and the things they taught me to make it easy for me to get a good home.  I’m glad my foster parents did that, because when Mike and Katherine came to Homeward Pets, they seemed so impressed with me!  They said they didn’t want a puppy, but I guess I convinced them otherwise.

I’m also glad Homeward Pets let me stay with them for a few days.  I didn’t like being in a kennel much, but Mike and Katherine wouldn’t have found me if I weren’t living there, so I guess it worked out.

I’ve been at my forever home for a week now.  I’m so glad Mike, Katherine, and Ursa let me live here.  I have so much fun, and I learn something every day.  They all seem to love me very much.  We’re always going somewhere, or meeting new people. I guess just because someone doesn’t want you and abandons you in a box doesn’t mean you can’t grow up to be a special dog that makes someone very happy.

 
 

No comments: