Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Jack update

It's been awhile, but just in case you were curious, Jack and I are
doing well as we pass our 6 month anniversary. I've discovered he's a
beach dog and he likes nothing better than going to Shilshole and
running up and down along the beach, barking at the waves, digging in
the sand, or smelling the seaweed.

Quite by accident, I discovered a trainer who deals with "troubled"
dogs. I was going away for a long weekend back in May and needed
someone to walk Jack while I was away and while my daughter was at work.
The dog walker I hired didn't work out (she couldn't get the leash on
and off Jack without him losing it) but recommended a friend who works
at the Woodland Park Zoo as a zoologist and trainer. She's been working
with Jack since May and has done a great job in starting to get him
socialized with other dogs and people. In fact, I just had a dinner
party last Friday and Jack was a saint, and someone commented on "what a
mellow dog" he was, as he sat by my side all evening.

He and I have also just finished our second agility class last Sunday.
I don't know if he's an "agility" dog, but he certainly likes the work
and I think the structured exposure to other dogs and people is good for
him too. Anyway, he's gained 12 lbs. in 4 months(!!) so I need to watch
out for that but he's still within his weight limits. We still take our
walks around Greenlake and 3 days of the week, he goes for walks with
his trainer/walker too.

He's a really great dog and we're both doing well. Thanks for taking
care of him till we found each other! -- Arlene

No comments: